Saturday, February 19, 2011

Southern Hospitality

Growing up in the South, southern hospitality has always been second nature. I smile at strangers, wave at neighbors, open the door for people, and try to have a generally nice disposition. Moving to the North had me a bit concerned that my new neighbors might not be so friendly. I was especially concerned after visiting Boston for a conference and having the cab my friends and I hailed stolen by some locals! Bad Bean Town reps, bad, bad, bad!

“Because I was born in the South, I’m a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.”
–Clyde Edgerton

“Southern women see no contradiction in mixing strength with gentleness.”
–Sharon McKern

Upon being here a few weeks, I have discovered Cape Cod hospitality. The people here are a different breed: not as course as Bostonians, but rather very welcoming. I don't know if it's because I always have a kid or two with me, but it doesn't hurt. I like friendly people. Mean people suck, right?

For all you Cape Codders out there: thanks for being so kind and welcoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment