Saturday, March 5, 2011

Swimsuit Season Already?

I woke up this morning feeling a little under the weather. Perhaps I picked up the bug Big M and Little m have been spreading around the house. To top it off, I had to go swimwear shopping.

I couldn't find my one piece swimsuit amidst the vast array of boxes in the basement. Why was I looking for a swimsuit in March? Definitely not for spring break; I need it for Big M's swimming lessons that start next week.

There is nothing I like less than swimsuit shopping. To make the chore a bit less painful, I follow these two rules:

     Stand at an angle for a slimming effect
          &
     Take off socks.

It sounds silly, but these two rules can make all the difference in your self confidence and body image perception.

“Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes.”
-Sophia Loren

“Big or small, fat or thin, all women are beautiful.”
-Cherie K. Erdman

“Women need to celebrate their God-given beauty instead of always trying to be something else.”
-Iman

“Accept who you are; and revel in it.”
-Mitch Albom in Tuesdays with Morrie

Side note (that's for you, Jess): I took Big M on a trial run this week in the small pool. I found various swimwear that was repulsed by my post baby, post moving, fitness deprived, and poor diet body. What I thought was a good idea was a black maternity swim tank and black bottoms. The lighting is apparently very poor at the rental, for when I got dressed at the YMCA I realized how awful I looked. The top was so big that it hid the bottoms! In addition, M grabbed onto the strap and untied the top. I then realized that I needed a more toddler-friendly bathing suit.

So off we went to Old Navy. I thought this would be the most affordable swimsuit option, especially this early in the season. There were two one piece styles and one tankini style. After trying on all three, I settled for the one piece and the tankini top--the bottom covered less than my undies. I kept remind myself that my body was not quite ready for bathing suit season and that I still had time to prepare. I'm going to be in the kiddy pool with other moms and kids. As long as M is happy, nothing else matters.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I have been there and been putting off the dreaded task of doing it again this year. I am laughing right now because I did, in fact, use my maternity tankini (cute black ruffled halter top, right?) for E's swim lessons at 7 months of age. I'm sure it was hideous, but because the top was longer than the bottoms, I tucked the top into the side leg holes and prayed everyone else was too busy with their own babies to notice! Lol!

    ReplyDelete